Thursday, March 7, 2013

Power Tech Engine Rebuild Project

I've discovered over the last few years that students think rebuilding the small engines is ok, but they don't really think it's useful.  Last year I had a couple students help me rebuild an engine for my truck, and they were completely into the whole process.  So that go me thinking the way to do it would be to have the students rebuild a full size engine.  I started asking around for an engine suitable for my class.  Randy Ferdinand at the old mill came through, donating an early modal chevy 350 with automatic transmission and 4x4 transfer case.

I know if look awful right now, but it will make vast improvements over the next years.  The first step is to make an engine for it.  Most student shops have a basic engine stand for rebuilding, but they don't allow the students to start the engine.  To make it really tangible I've decided we need an engine test stand so the students can start the engine at the beginning of the rebuild process.  They can than go through the whole process, doing all the required measurements and checks.  Put the engine back together and start it to ensure they did it correctly.  We started building a test stand similar to the one in the picture below.  

I'll add more pictures as we make progress.  


2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog! I enjoyed your article because it has a good experience given here. I love reading articles because I learn a lot from the information it content. Like your blog, I learn a lot about the rebuilt engines. Thank you!.

    engines for sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Download 16,000 Woodworking Plans & Projects .
    “woodworking pro weebly” (Google it)
    This woodworking book contains a great deal of details about wood working. The book also shows several designs and explanations on the materials useful for different woodworking processes and the directions on completing different processes properly. In other words, I`m happy using this book, specially in the procedure of understading about wood working.?

    ReplyDelete